The Marlow Eye - A Satirical Perspective

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Have you seen Marlows Stepford families?

You often spot things in life because they are unusual. In this instance I have spotted something that is very strange in Marlow because it appears to be the norm which it shouldn't be. Confused?......I am to...let me explain....

Have you ever waited for your child at the school gates? Have you ever taken a walk past the play area in Higgonson Park? If you are a people watcher what have you noticed.

The majority of parents with young families are old!!! Well not decrepit but in their late thirties or forties.

I used to think that this was mainly the 'second time around' fathers starting over with a new young thing (usually the secretary) but I cant remember when I last saw a real twenty year old mum who wasn't a bloomin nanny for these well to does.

Now I am not saying that this older or delayed parenting is wrong BUT nationwide it is still not the norm but in Marlow 80% of the parents appear to be wrinklies (including myself by the way).

However, these are not your 'Colditz estate' dysfunctional families one sees on wife swap but more of your monied or big mortgaged 'West Marlowvians' who can afford to do this.

So, do you agree that Marlow has the 'Stepford Wives' type of families? Those of you that are observant or are even one of these older parents must surely agree. Those that do not......I dare you to take a straw pole at your next school collection or open day.

Why do you think Marlow has more than its fare share of older parents?

1 Comments:

  • I must agree that having just moved to the area YES everyone seems to be older parents or stepford families as you put it, However being one of the Colditz estate residents I must say were not all dysfunctional so please don't tar us all with the same brush!! I have quite a strange perspective (well these days anyway) I am a mum of three still under 30 and yes MARRIED for almost 10 years I'm no longer sure which part of that is the most strange, having moved from a much more deprived area where being under 30 with 3 kids was quite normal but the fact they all had the same father and further more that we were married seemed to be quite a novelty there!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home